Paternity Attorney in Boise
Helping Parents Legally Establish the Father of Their Child
Paternity is defined differently in each state throughout the US, but in
Idaho, paternity is defined as the legal status of fatherhood. Legal status
gives a father rights and responsibilities to a child, including the right
to legal custody and potentially, physicalcustody and visitation as well. Legal status also might require a father to provide some
financial support for the child as well. At K. Mitchell Law, PLLC, our Boise paternity lawyer
can help you take the appropriate legal steps to establish the father
of your child.
Call our office at
(208) 285-4272 today to receive a complimentary initial consultation.
What Is Paternity?
If a child is born to a married couple, there is a legal presumption that
the husband is the legal father of the child. However, if two individuals
are not married at the time of a child’s birth, the father does
not have legal rights and duties to the child automatically, and therefore,
paternity must be established. Even if parents live together or plan to
marry at some future date, paternity should be established in order for
the child and both parents to secure certain rights.
How to Legally Establish Paternity
Paternity can be established in 3 different ways:
- The parents were married at the time of conception
- The father voluntarily acknowledges paternity and completes a form
- Either party seeks a court order to legally establish paternity
If the father does not voluntarily acknowledge paternity and sign the form,
either party can request the help of a Boise paternity lawyer. This attorney
can seek a legal action and a DNA test to establish the paternity of the child.
Benefits of Establishing Paternity
Aside from the fact that the child will receive financial and emotional
support from both parents, there are a number of benefits to legally establish
the paternity of a child.
These benefits include:
- The parents can legally make important decisions on the child’s behalf
- The child is able to feel included and connected to their extended family
on both their mother’s and father’s side
- The child’s birth certificate will include both parent’s names
- The child has access to the medical history of both parent’s families
- The child can qualify for benefits through their father as well as their
mother such as social security, medical insurance, and inheritances
Let our Boise Paternity Attorney Help You Expand Your Family
K. Mitchell Law, PLLC understands the legal complexities of establishing
the legal father of a child. Whether you are the mother seeking financial
support from the father or a father hoping to build a relationship with
your child, you can count on our firm to help you obtain positive results
to your case.
Complete our online contact form or call us directly at
(208) 285-4272 to schedule your consultation.